Ah, Maille. What a treasured brand you are. Just look how special the seductive black, gold letterpress packaging is. And their regal logo that adorns every one of their mustard pots makes me go a little weak at the knees (now I know where Nigella Lawson gets her sex appeal in the kitchen!)
I thoroughly enjoyed cooking up this recipe for the Maille Culinary Challenge us foodie bloggers have been invited to enter. The products are such a joy to use in the kitchen, so versatile. Neil was my Chief Taster so he wasn't complaining either ;)
I decided to cook up a starter and main using two of Maille's finest products - the Cider Vinegar with Honey, and the Aioli with Crushed Black Pepper Sauce. Here's how I got on:
To start, thick cut bruschetta.
Ingredients (feeds 2)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
2 large vine tomatoes
1 small red onion
A small handful of fresh basil leaves
Salt & Black Pepper
3 tbsp Maille Cider Vinegar with Honey
1 medium baguette
1. First, roughly chop your tomatoes and red onion so they're thick and tasty. Toss them into a large bowl and then finely chop your fresh basil leaves to add to the mix.
2. Season your tomatoes, onion and basil leaves with black pepper and salt and give the whole mixture a juicy stir!
3. Cut up the baguette into diagonal slices, pop them in the toaster so they're lightly toasted.
4. Drizzle the cider vinegar with honey across the mixture and give the whole thing another good stir. Keep tasting as you go and add more cider vinegar with honey for a sweeter kick.
5. Once the bread is nicely toasted, plate up by pouring the mixture on top of the bread, et voilà!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
500g chicken breasts
50g salted butter
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 slice of thick bread blended to crumbs (or 1 cup of bread crumbs)
3 tbsp parmesan
500g sweet potatoes
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt & Pepper
2 vine tomatoes
3 tbsp Maille Aioli with Basil & Crushed Black Pepper sauce
Fresh basil to garnish
For the Grilled garlic Butter Chicken:
1. Preheat the grill to 200 degrees celsius. In a small bowl add the butter and crushed garlic and stir well. Separate half of the mixture into a separate bowl and put to one side.
2. Next, place your chicken breasts on a baking tray and using one of the pots of garlic butter, spread roughly over both sides of each breast. Make up more garlic butter depending on how big your breasts are. Lols.
3. Pop the tray under the grill for 15-20 minutes turning once. Whilst they're cooking, prepare the breadcrumb topping.
4. Grab the remaining garlic butter and mix in your cup of bread crumbs. Season with black pepper and salt and add your parmesan and a sprinkle of lemon zest. Don't be afraid to use your fingers to make a fluffy, lumpy breadcrumb topping.
5. Once the 15-20 minutes is up, put the bread crumb mix on top of the chicken breasts and grill for a further 5 minutes or until brown.
For the Peppered sweet potato chips:
N.B I have a fan assisted oven where you can opt for a 'grill and oven' combo on your cooker and do both these in sync.
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. Chop your sweet potatoes into large wedges and toss them onto a baking tray, covering in vegetable oil.
2. Generously crack black peppercorns across the wedges and season with some salt.
3. Stick them in the oven for about 20 minutes or until soft in the inside.
Slice a tomato and garnish with basil leaves, and pour some delicious Aioli sauce into a dipping pot to serve with the potatoes and there ya have it!