My love for doorways and photographing them accelerated when I was travelling across south Germany with my fiancé and our family.
I lost count of the amount of pastel coloured doors with bikes left to balance outside I instagrammed on my travels there. Rothenburg was particularly photogenic.
It gave me a lot of inspiration to dress up our own. First impressions count, and a lick of paint with some freshly potted plants can add value to your home.
A couple of things to think about if you're looking to revamp your porch:
1) Symmetry works. If you have space to put a plant pot of shrub either side of your door, you're missing a trick by not.
2) Colour = personality. With the help of paints like Valspar, you can mix exterior wood paint in ANY colour you like. Don't pass up the opportunity for people to go 'wow' before they even step inside.
3) Lanterns add a traditional touch. Consider this especially if you're living in a period property. They look great and solve a problem when you're searching for your keys in the dark.
4) Climbing plants hide a multitude of sins. If you can't afford to repaint the exterior of your home, or if you're renting and it's looking a bit dull, consider planting climbing roses around your door to give it a cottage frame :)
5) Finally, don't forget the power of door furniture. People often forget that letterboxes, door knockers, key holes etc can all be replaced, and can breathe life and personality back into a door. It doesn't have to cost the earth either. Renewing your door furniture is a fast way to update your porch and wow anyone that knocks.
I hope this inspires you.
You can follow my door obsession on pinterest if you like?