I had a day in the house all to myself a few weekends ago. Neil was out shooting a wedding, and we had his parents down for the weekend who were out looking for houses in the area to potentially move down to, so I took the opportunity to do a bit of baking fresh for when everyone came home :)
I chose to bake Madeleines because they are SO easy to do, and I fancied dusting off my Madeleine tray after about 2 years of no use!
It's such a simple recipe, takes about 20 mins before visitors arrive or makes a quick project with kids. I sort of free-styled the recipe but they turned out delish!
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
A squeeze of lemon
50g plain flour
75g icing sugar
50g butter (left in the sun to melt for 20 mins or melt and cool on the hob)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease a 12 piece Madeleine tray
2. In one bowl, whisk the egg, vanilla extract, lemon zest and icing sugar all together until fairly thick and glossy
3. Sift the baking powder and flour together in a separate bowl then gradually add this to the egg mix. Keep folding in the flour mix in stages until you're left with a sticky mixture
4. Next fill your madeleine tray up, spooning the mixture onto the tray so that it's 3/4 full. It will expand in the oven
5. Pop it in the oven for 12-15 mins and then voile!
I normally use a mini sieve to sprinkle icing sugar straight on to the madeleines as they're cooling to make them look a bit more Mary Berry!
Do you have any quick and easy recipes you love to bake? I'm always on the hunt for more :)